Monday 21 January 2013

Tip #19 - Cold-fighting on a budget

It's that time of year. I've got a cold. It's not the worst cold I've ever had. It's not a full-frontal assault, but more of a long, drawn out feeling of unwellness, slowly sapping my strength.

I used to run out to the drug store for expensive medication as soon as I felt the first sign of a stuffy nose. But I just can't afford those at the moment. So what to do?

Get lots of sleep

Sleep is absolutely, hands-down the best cure for a cold. Your body needs time to fight the viruses attacking it, and can't do that when it's over-tired.

Last night, I managed to sleep for 11 3/4 hours. I feel SO MUCH BETTER this morning.

I understand, however, that it's not always possible to sleep as much as that. You may have work or child commitments, for example. If this applies to you, make sure you get as much sleep as physically possible. Take naps during the day when you can. Miss out on that drink with your friends. Take a rain-cheque on that sports game.

If you keep forcing yourself to continue as if you weren't sick, your cold will drag on longer.

Oh, and work-time aside, sleep is completely, 100% free.

Drink lots of fluids

This sounds really obvious. But it has to be stated.

Fluids do NOT include: alcohol, coffee, sugary soft drinks (one exception, see below), sugary fruit juices, and it's best to avoid milk.

Fluids DO include: pure fruit juices, water, uncaffeinated herbal tea, water, and mixes like hot lemon and honey, hot lemon and ginger, and cranberry juice and gingerale, and more water.

Water, natural fruit juices which contain vitamin C, and ginger are all helpful to kick your immune system into action.



No-sugar added cranberry juice mixed ginger ale is a remedy I learned from a Chinese woman who owned a corner store near where I used to live in university. She saw me come in, still in my pyjamas, with a runny red nose, panic-buying throat lozenges and kleenex. Bad look. Simply mix the cranberry juice and ginger ale at a 1-1 ratio. The ginger and vitamin C both help fight your cold, and the bubbles help break up mucus. The science may be questionable, but it works.


Currently, I'm too cheap even for cranberry juice and ginger ale. So I'm drinking LOADS of water, with slices of lemon cut into it. The lemon slices help me get my vitamin C, and the citric acid helps my throat (at least, it seems to!)

Change humidity levels

If you're congested, I've always found the best way to ease some of the pressure is to change the humidity of the air around you. This can be with the help of a humidifier, but you could also use a kettle or a hot mug of tea, take a hot shower or bath, or go for a walk. The humidity levels between inside and outside will be very different, and will help you out in the short term.

Chicken soup for your soul

Chicken soup actually does have medicinal benefits when it comes to colds and flu. Yummy and good!

Gargle with salt water

If you have a sore throat as part of your cold fun, gargle with warm water mixed with a table spoon of salt. It tastes disgusting, but it works by sterilizing your throat and helping to kill some of the bacteria.

I also find that other salty food have the same result. Dill pickles and pot noodles are my two favourites. Just be careful if you are on a low-sodium diet.

Make sure you eat

Being sick can cause you to lose your appetite. But you absolutely need to eat. Your body needs calories and vitamins. So anything you can take in will help. Potatoes, lentils, red meat, green vegetables, and fruits are all full of lots of vitamins which your body needs. Last night for example I had a baked potato with spaghetti Bolognese sauce and cheese. It was just the right size, and very medicinal.

If you're on a diet, it may have to go out the window for the worst part of the cold. I'm not saying you should eat processed food. But most celebrity fad diets barely contain the number of calories required to get through a day normally, let along while sick. So eat up!

If all else fails...

If your cold is like the raging fire of hell, and you can't go on without some over-the-counter intervention, try to stick with store brands. The contents will be the same, the result will be the same, but your wallet will thank you.



Are there any home remedies that I've missed? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment