Tuesday 25 December 2012

Tip #16 - Make your Christmas presents

This is clearly a little late, but I couldn't post what I made for people until after Christmas... otherwise they would know!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've made Christmas presents for the past few years. I simply don't believe that it's necessary to spend loads of money on Christmas presents. Especially when making presents for a medium to large number of people, it's possible to save a lot of money in financial terms, while still giving thought-felt gifts. Certainly, if I added up all the time I spent this year and paid myself minimum wage, I would have spent a lot more than I could afford!

I had 10 people + my boyfriend to give gifts for this year. For the 10, I made gift bags (see here for how I made the gift bags) with three sweet Christmas treats: peppermint bark, gingerbread cookies, and chocolate-covered candied orange peel. In total, including the gift bag supplies, I spent (in cash terms) approximately ₤25, but probably spent about 3 full days between the treats and bags. 

Chocolate peppermint bark, courtesy of a recipe by canida on the instructables site (http://www.instructables.com/id/Chocolate-Peppermint-Bark/#step1). Really tasty, and would be great melted into hot chocolate.
 








These chocolate covered candied orange peels are simply to-die for. Absolutely incredible. I used a recipe from the food network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/candied-orange-recipe/index.html), then dipped the resulting concoction into melted dark chocolate, let it cool in the freezer, and yum-tastic!





I have no reference for this gingerbread recipe because my friend sent it to me several years ago. It's got a big kick to it thanks to the cloves and pepper, but do not be deceived! It's delicious.


Spicy Gingerbread Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 cup unsulfured molasses
6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
Raisins, dragées, and/or red hot candies for decoration (optional)
Royal Icing for decoration (optional)

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Divide dough into thirds and wrap each third in plastic wrap. Chill for about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick between two pieces of waxed paper. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer shapes to ungreased cookie sheets. If desired, decorate with raisins, dragées, and/or red hot candies. Refrigerate about 15 minutes. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp but not dark. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute, then remove to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, decorate with Royal Icing.

And finally, ready for Christmas! :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment