Friday 7 December 2012

Tip #14 - Eat less meat

I'm not a vegetarian, and I can eat platefulls of baked or roasted ham or bacon. But with the price of meat so high, and set to increase in Canada next year, it may be worth finding some alternatives.

Anyone who has a vegetarian friend has probably seen the meat substitute products, usually made from ground mushrooms or soya, but these too can be very expensive. I also find them hit-and-miss - some aren't bad, but some just have a strange aftertaste or texture.

So I'm going to put in a plug for that most basic of protein, the one we sing about, the one which makes family gatherings that little bit more odorous.

Beans.

Canned, dried, fresh, it doesn't matter. Beans are incredibly good value for their weight and volume, and they're packed with nutrients like protein and iron. They're a good source of complex carbohydrates and fiber as well, so can act as both a veg and a meat substitute. And they're just so cheap!

I tend to have several different cans of beans in my cupboard for when I want to bulk something out. So I'll add chickpeas to curries, or pinto beans to tacos (this is relatively new), or lentils to shepherd's pie or bolognese sauce.

Lentils are especially good for bulking out ground beef-based meals. If you add a can of lentils to a pot of shepherd's pie filling or spaghetti sauce, you can cut out the equivalent volume of ground beef. And, it hides the lentils for picky eaters! I never spotted them in my Mum's cooking until I was much older and able to appreciate them more.

If, unlike me, you're a meat and two veg cook (I'm a one-pot cook so the beans trick works well for me), you can cut down on your meat bill by only buying what's on sale or special (i.e. going off that day), in bulk, and freezing it until you are ready to eat it. Freezerbags are great for this - you can freeze individual chicken breasts or steaks out of a value pack, or stick a whole chicken in one. Just make sure that you take the freezing into account when you cook, and make sure you consume the products within about a month!

Finally, a trick for you turkey or ham lovers. The week after Thanksgiving or Christmas, go to your supermarket, and buy one or two frozen turkeys or hams. They and their leftovers will last for a good long time and are at huge markdown! It's like the adult equivalent of buying marked down halloween or easter candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment